Every child is a different kind of flower, and all together, make this world a beautiful garden
St. Catherine’s Preparatory School continues to preserve the Dominican tradition of education, we are dedicated to providing our children with an enriching education which motivates and enthuses each and every child to achieve to their full potential – academically, spiritually, socially and emotionally, in a spirit of trust and truth.
The three learning areas covered in this phase are Literacy, Numeracy and Life Skills.
English – Home Language
English reading, writing, speaking and listening skills are developed throughout the day. We use the Letterland Programme to help learners with sounds of letters, vocabulary development, and letter formation.
Reading is encouraged using a variety of reading programs and different reading strategies, such as guided reading, paired reading etc.
Afrikaans – First Additional Language
isiZulu – Second Additional Language
Numeracy is developed on a daily basis. All concepts are introduced using concrete apparatus (counters) and gradually moved to the abstract. Having smaller classes enables the teacher to give individual attention to ensure that the concepts are grasped properly.
Religion, Guidance, Physical Education, Music and Computers are all taught by specialist teachers.
Formal and informal assessments are used throughout the year. Learners receive a report at the end of each term.
We have a qualified Educational Psychologist, Counselor and Therapists to assist learners in need of academic assistance, occupational therapy and speech therapy.
Netball, Soccer, Cricket, Swimming, Tennis, Athletics, Choir, Drama, Eisteddfod and Science Club
We have extra activities which are not included in the school fees:- Art Club, Ballet, Karate and Yoga.
Learners are taken on an educational outing, once a term. At the end of the year all the children attend the pantomime at the Johannesburg Theatre.
We have various organisations visiting the school throughout the year, staging productions or talks, which link up to the themes covered in the different learning areas.
- Grade 1 & 2 learners: 07h40 to 13h00
- Grade 3 learners: 07h40 to 13h30, Monday to Thursday and 13h15 on Friday
St Catherine’s aftercare is a safe, homely environment , where leaners have their homework supervised by caring staff. Holiday aftercare is also available.
School uniforms available from:
- Ebsons, 100 Victoria Street, Germiston, Tel: (011) 873-3288
- Lala Brothers, 44 Van Riebeeck Avenue, Alberton North, Tel: (011) 907-8619
- Summer – White V-neck shirt with the school emblem on the pocket, grey shorts, grey socks, black shoes and blazer.
- Winter – Grey long pants, plain white long-sleeved shirt, school tie, grey socks, black shoes, school jersey and blazer
- Summer – Blue dresses with belt, white ankle socks, black shoes and blazer
- Winter – Black tunic (with V-neck and no pleats) or long black trousers, plain white long-sleeved shirt, school tie, black socks or tights, black shoes, school jersey and blazer.
The school blazer is a compulsory item of clothing for senior primary boys and girls.
PT uniform (Boys and Girls)
All pupils wear the regulation school sports shirt ( blue shirt with the school emblem), boys wear plain black shorts and girls the regulation “skort”. White takkies or majority white running shoes and short white socks.
31 Piercy Avenue, Parkhill Gardens, Germiston
Number of hits